The original Marlborough Historical Society was dissolved in 2003. Many of the history that was kept within the society at that time was given to the Richmond Memorial Library, the Senior Center, and members of the society.
For the next 17 years, the town of Marlborough was left without a historical society but interest in the history grew. New residents made Marlborough their home and with them came questions about the town's history, such as the tavern, mile markers, cemeteries, roads, homes, mills, and much more. Finding the answers to their questions was proving somewhat difficult.
After years of research and growing interest in the history of this town, the Marlborough Historical Society is in the process of being recreated!
The name 'Marlborough' is believed to come from Merlin the Magician. Legend states that when Merlin died, he was buried in a barrow (old Enlgish: beorg), meaning a large mound of dirt. The location became known as Merlin's Barrow, and as the centuries passed, the name merged to Marlborough, and the name officially given to what is now Marlborough, Wiltshire, England.
During the 1600 and 1700s, settlers from England traveled across the Atlantic and settled in what was the 'New' England. With them they brought names of their towns and created settlements across the six states, giving the names of their hometowns.
Copyright © 2023 Marlborough Preservation Society - All Rights Reserved.
The Marlborough Historical Society is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Site created and maintained by
The Marlborough Preservation Society
P. O. Box 351
Marlborough, Connecticut 06447