Date of Construction: 1749
A 2-story Georgian style home with fieldstone block foundation and a wood frame, post-and-beam structural system, with a large central chimney.
This house was build in 1749 and first owned by Ebenezer Strong, one of the signers of the petition to the General Assembly to incorporate Marlborough, Connecticut as a town, independent of Hebron, Colchester, and Glastonbury.
A five-ranked front façade with a low pitched, side gabled roof. All front windows are simple, two-over-two sash with wood muntins. There is a four-light transom over the front door (possibly original) enclosed within an eared architrave.
The windows are simple two-over-two sash with wooden muntins. Both windows are symmetrical to the elevation's vertical symmetry. There is a rounded pediment above the second floor window, indicative of attic space. There is also a wooden bulkhead door.
There is a narrow ell extending out of the west elevation. The main windows are two-over-two sash with wooden muntins. There is a brick chimney on the north elevation of this façade. There is also a small gabled dormer. The typical symmetry of the Georgian style is lost in this elevation.
A three-sided oriel with decorative brackets is an alteration to the typical two-over-two window sash found in its opposing elevation. There are two second floor windows depicting the same two-over-two style as well as the rounded pediment above. An entrance was added with four 8-panel casement windows.
Copyright © 2021 Marlborough Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
The Marlborough Historical Society is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Site created and maintained by
The Marlborough Historical Society
P. O. Box 351
Marlborough, Connecticut 06447